War Memorial - Winchester
‘A promise Honoured’ War memorial
1.8m x 0.6m x 0.8m
Portland stone, Castle Yard, the Great Hall, Winchester.
This memorial to the troops who passed through Winchester during the First World War is situated outside the Great Hall, in Castle Yard. It honours a promise made by the Mayor of Winchester in 1919 to commemorate the American soldiers billeted on the hills around Winchester. The memorial depicts a soldier’s kit left on a railway bench. The viewer is free to sit on the bench and wonder where the soldier has gone. It is designed and carved to honour the millions of troops who passed through Winchester. The memorial was unveiled by HRH Duke of Gloucester on 23rd June 2014.